So here we are, it’s almost been 6 months in the city and I feel like I’ve learned and experienced soooo much; here are just a few things in no particular order:
1. Just because there is a ‘gate’ at the front of your apartment complex … it doesn’t mean people won’t break into your apartment or you won’t be woken up at 1:30 by a domestic disturbance.
2. Indianapolis has tried to break me down but I won’t let it. First someone breaks into my car while running the mini then someone hits my brand new car in a DQ parking lot. Now the first incident I have no idea why that happened obviously if I owned a 99 Mountaineer I won’t have much in the car for you to steal. The second incident I equate to God saying stop going to DQ it’s not good for your health.
3. Southern accents are fabulous. I get excited when I hear someone else with a great accent. It adds personality… Also, I’ve learned I don’t get offended too easily by people making fun of my accent. Or by saying I have a huge forehead. Or by saying I talk like Sandy the Squirrel from Spongebob.
4. Running a mini marathon is a great achievement. 13.1 miles in 2 hours and 40 mins is one of the greatest accomplishments of my life. Probably only third to graduating from UK and meeting Micah Johnson…twice.
5. Another thing I’ve learned from Indy is local establishments are the best. If you are ever in Indy you should definitely eat at Scotty’s Brewhouse downtown or at the Monan Food Company. Scotty’s has one of the best atmospheres I’ve ever encountered. I love to go there for dinner or just for drinks. Total all around package! (not an ad just a place I love!)
6. Staying in touch with friends in far away places is hard but the truest of friendship will survive. Even if the convo is only for 5 mins I love every time I talk to Ashley. For 3 years she was my family in Lexington. We did just about everything together. Almost every Target, Wal-Mart and especially Qdoba run was together. So I’ve learned making time for those that matter is extremely important.
7. Experiencing Indianapolis at a freshman and sophomore at Butler is extremely different from experiencing it at as 24 yr old graduate. So many things and places I didn’t even know existed!
8. While I already knew this moving here just reaffirmed it. The Big Ten sucks and I dislike just about every team in the conference. SEC all day!
9. Just like moving here was a ‘following the heart move’ I now am about to go back to school in a ‘follow the heart decision.’ Who knew this part-time job in a library would turn into a life changing career decision and meeting some of the best people in my life right now. They encourage me to think outside the box and be the best me I can be. They are accepting and gracious and TONS of laughs. So I’m trying to go into new situations with an open mind and see where it could lead.
10. I have been so proud of the fact that I hadn’t seen Twilight, Harry Potter or read any of the books. Well what I will blame on pure manipulation of birthday privileges I have read the first 2 Twilight books and watched the first movie. I have until November 18th to finish the books and watch 2 more movies. But as retribution I am thinking of something that neither one of the culprits will like and demand we do that for my birthday. I am thinking an underground hip hop concert is my best bet to make them uncomfortable!
11. The last but most important thing is that I have realized how strong I am. I believe in myself a lot more than ever before and I am trusting my instincts to get me through a lot of situations. I am learning that being 24 isn’t so bad and that I should experience life to the fullest potential and not be scared. I have no idea what the future holds but I’ve made it through this 6 months of major highs and lows. Looking forward to the next 6 months of nothing but pure entertainment, it’s my life and I love it!